Our 5-Ring Circus

Our 5-Ring Circus

Scooter, Quab and Bugs

Scooter, Quab and Bugs
Serving the Princesses since 2004

Tiana and Goose

Tiana and Goose
They really need all of those big brothers...

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Difference of a Year and a Barbie


11/1/2010

Princess Tiana has been with us for a year, as of yesterday. We've never celebrated a "gotcha day" or a "family day" before, since Bugs came to us as a tiny newborn. We went to dinner and had fried rice and chicken, her favorites. We actually ended up at the same place we were eating the night Bugs was born! Goose thought it was an occasion worthy of a gift, and I happened to have an awesome Ghana Barbie on hand (thank you, ebay!). Let me tell you, Tiana's reaction to the surprise left me speechless. She promptly named the doll Efia, as it is "the prettiest Ghana name," and noticed how much the doll looks like her (she really does).  It is hard to find dolls that accurately depict African women. It doesn't help those of us who wish their daughters could see the beauty in their curly hair or dark skin. My beautiful little Ghanaian girl who, for 12 months has wished she looked like her very white sister, finally loves her own look. She sat the kids all down and told them that this Barbie is SPECIAL because she is from Ghana too. Tiana has not wanted to talk about Ghana since she came home. Her past is painful for her to remember and often she just pretends she can't. Last night she was teaching her sister a song in Fante. She told the boys all about the beautiful fabrics that women wear and how they tie their babies to their backs. It has been a long road to get here and we have plenty more traveling to do. But the changes in Tiana this year have been nothing short of miraculous.
11/1/2009
 She is the piece of our family that I felt was missing for many years. She brought me so far out of my comfort zone that I had to get a new one!
I love you, my sassy little "chocolate Cinderella!"
Now, my plug for adoption. If you're ready, but just afraid to take the first step, JUST DO IT! As hard as the past year has been, I have no regrets. I would do it again. I'm still praying that someday I will get the chance, so please take yours.

1 comment:

fullplatemom said...

*Tears*. Good job Princess! You are beautiful inside and out. I think a visit with another sassy "chocolate Cinderella" might be in order some day when the healing has progressed a little further. I love how much all these kids are healing their little hearts. It warms mine.

Congratulations on your first year together!
--Becky