Our 5-Ring Circus

Our 5-Ring Circus

Scooter, Quab and Bugs

Scooter, Quab and Bugs
Serving the Princesses since 2004

Tiana and Goose

Tiana and Goose
They really need all of those big brothers...

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Amateur Hairstylist Goes Public

It took three hours, half a bottle of conditioner, seventeen rubber bands, twelve cute little barettes, a bag of Cheetos and a Coke, but I did Tiana's hair ALL by myself! I have put a few twists in the front before and I have re-done little puffs that her sweet sisters in Ghana did, but this is the first time I have been brave/able to try a full style. We started with six sections, each in two twists. Then Noni and I took the twists out and put little heart clips at then ends of the pieces. There were 30! This is in the pictures. Then we left the same parts in and did puffs, which Tiana really likes. each variation lasted about a week before it needed to be redone. This was all about a month ago and we have since returned the care of this crazy hair to a professional (who we love), but it's nice to know that I *can*do Tiana's hair. This summer I plan to learn a lot more and try some new things. One of these days my hands will cooperate with my heart's desire to cornrow. Until then, we'll just keep paying Sara's car payment every month or two. If you live in our area, I'll give you one of her cards. She's a genius and great with kids!

2 comments:

FullPlateMom said...

We have those same snaps! Bubbly wears them ALL the time. She sports almost the same hair do daily. I braid Giggles' hair myself every 4-6 weeks. After a FULL day (like 6-8 hours) I usually feel ready to part with $200 to have someone else deal with it. But, I LOVE, LOVE going to the African Market to choose what we'll do the next time. We were there today. The lady and her husband, who own it, were born in Cape Coast. They try to speak twi to Giggles, she just giggles and tells them she's American now.

--Becky

Scott and Tara Pearce said...

You did great! Just keep practicing. I always do my girls'hair just because I refuse to pay that much. Every time I get just a little bit faster.