Our 5-Ring Circus

Our 5-Ring Circus

Scooter, Quab and Bugs

Scooter, Quab and Bugs
Serving the Princesses since 2004

Tiana and Goose

Tiana and Goose
They really need all of those big brothers...

Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm not ready! (but she is)

Y'all, my baby, my tiniest little Princess is starting Kindergarten in two weeks. There is not one part of me that wants her to go. I don't long for the days with no kids at home. I am not excited to see her in her cute little uniform walking into the school. Seriously. I know I am supposed to be looking forward to this moment, in fact I probably should have been for a few years now. But I'm not. Actually, it is more like a building panic that is getting more intense every day we get closer to the 30th. Yes, it's only a few hours and I will have her back by lunchtime. It is only two more mornings than her Preschool last year. I am fully aware how silly this all sounds to the rest of you. I was hoping that this year a new rule would be instituted allowing those of us with really small kids to enroll them based on size and not age. That would buy me at least another year, maybe two. Goose is a peanut. She cannot possibly be ready for this. She is under the false impression that all you need for Kindergarten is a backpack, a lunchbox, and new shoes. Someone needs to hurry up and tell her that she might need her Mom too! For those who are in the thick of the (!exhausting!) infant and toddler years, pay attention to me. You do not want them to grow up. Don't wish it away and don't miss anything. Someday you will send your oldest to school and you will cry your eyes out. You might have a couple more in the middle who will also march up that sidewalk without a backward glance at you. Maybe one will run back for a quick hug, but not too many times before he doesn't need it to get through his day. Your oldest will suddenly decide that he can't hug you in front of his friends anymore. Then before you have time to prepare yourself, your baby will be on her way up that same sidewalk. It comes too soon.

No comments: